For many, hearing that they need to get root canal therapy is enough to strike fear in their hearts. Though this procedure has gained a bad reputation over the years, getting a root canal isn’t nearly as bad as you may have heard. You may be under the impression that this is the most painful dental procedure you can get, but root canals are actually virtually painless. If your dentist says that you need to undergo this dental procedure, read on to learn what to expect while recovering and tips to make sure it goes smoothly.
How Does the Root Canal Recovery Process Work?
Before beginning the root canal procedure, your dentist will administer a numbing agent. This will prevent you from experiencing pain or discomfort throughout treatment. Even so, some sensitivity a few hours after root canal therapy should be expected.
Applying an ice pack or cold compress in the area of the tooth and taking over-the-counter pain relievers can keep you comfortable while your mouth continues to heal. Additionally, if your dentist or oral surgeon fits you with a temporary crown, avoid chewing in that part of your mouth until the permanent one has been placed. This will help you avoid discomfort and complications.
4 Tips for a Smooth Recovery After Root Canal Therapy
Along with the above tips, there are a few other ways you can ease your recovery after root canal therapy, including:
- Avoid certain foods – Don’t consume sticky, hard, or acidic things until your permanent crown has been placed.
- Rinse your mouth out – Do this with warm salt water to eliminate bacteria and alleviate swelling and discomfort.
- Keep your mouth clean – This will help prevent food and bacteria from re-infecting the tooth.
- Have soft foods around – This includes things like applesauce, eggs, soup, and pasta.
- Get some rest – For a few days post-op, don’t lift heavy items or do any intense workouts.
- Follow instructions – Make sure to follow the instructions your dentist gives you to make sure your recovery goes as smoothly as possible.
So, if your dentist says that you need to get a root canal, don’t be scared. With modern technology and a good dental team, this procedure will be virtually painless. Before you know it, you’ll be on your way to a gorgeous, healthy grin!
About the Author
Are you a resident of the Houston area who has been on the lookout for a dentist they can trust? Dr. Roman Kotlarek and his team at Roman Dental are here for you. Dr. Kotlarek enjoys helping patients care for their smiles to prevent oral health issues. He also offers procedures like root canals to repair damaged teeth and get your oral health back on the right track. Are you ready to make an appointment with Roman Dental or do you want to learn more about their services? If so, call their office at (281) 920-4200 or visit their website to get started.